Gail and I have been having a ball exploring our new city these past two years! We already have our list of favs, so we thought we’d make it official and start a Winston-Salem “Best Parts” page. We’ll add to it little by little as we discover and decide on the best of the best!
1. Village Tavern – in the Hanes Mall area. Excellent food, and they have a fun outdoors area.
2. River Birch Lodge – This is our local, neighborhood upscale eatery, so we eat here often enough. The atmosphere is like a slightly fancy lodge, yet NC casual. The food is always delicious!
3. Tripps – This is a chain, but we love it!
4. The Old Fourth Street Filling Station – actually a gasoline station back in the day. This is a great place for lunch in a cool outdoor patio. Also a fun place for dinner in the evening because of it’s location on 4th Street.
5. 6th and Vine – A funky wine/cafe place, good restaurant, live music.
6. Midtown Cafe and Dessertery – great food, even greater desserts!
7. Sweet Potatoes – A unique, southern cuisine inspired, cozy restaurant in the Arts District.
8. Big Shotz Tavern – A very nice restaurant/sports bar/night-life kind of place. Fun!
9. Milner’s – gourmet “American Southern.” They have outstanding occasional wine tasting dinners! Pricey, but worth it!
10. West End Cafe – Another great little Fourth Street restaurant. Very good menu and a pleasant atmosphere.
Honorable mentions: Jason’s Deli – It’s a chain, but you wouldn’t know it. Creative menu often has new items. always excellent! Carving Board – deli style sandwiches and gourmet sides. popular place for a great lunch! Billy Bob’s Silver Diner – for your basic, inexpensive breakfast, in a cool retro diner!
La Carreta – the one on Peace Haven Rd.
1. Olive Garden – in the Hanes Mall area.
2. Coppola’s Pizzeria and Italian – more homey than the Olive Garden chain.
Best Grocery Store
Best Mountain Bike Trail
Best Bike Shop
1. Ken’s Bike Shop – our local Trek dealer!
2. Clemmons Bicycle – in nearby Clemmons, NC.
Best Golf Course
Gold’s Gym – on Reynolda
Best Real Estate Agent
Best Shopping Center
Best Furniture Store
Best Running/Triathlon Store
Best Sporting Goods Store
1. Childress Vineyards – owned and operated by NASCAR racing team owner, Richard Childress. Now he also makes award-winning wines! Excellent restaurant!
2. Shelton Vinyards - Tasty wines, beautiful vineyard, with an excellent restaurant!